Maybe not now, maybe not in the next month, but very soon your website ranking will change, potentially more than ever before.
What you need to know
What is Hummingbird?
Hummingbird is a brand new Google algorithm
- The algorithm will eventually effect your website’s ranking
- Released in September this is the greatest change in Search Engine Optimisation since 2001
- Hummingbird is not an update like previous Pandas, Penguin 2.0 or 2.1, but a new way the search engine will recommend appropriate sites to users.
What does it do?
Hummingbird focuses on conversational search:
- Google has seen an increase in conversational, meaning and whole sentence search
- Google have changed their algorithm to meet the user’s exact search terms
- Google is looking at the entire search term ‘good advertising agencies in Devon’ rather than individual words as before e.g. ‘good advertising agencies in Devon’
- Google is considering the meaning behind the words to improve the websites visible to a user in organic ranking
Is this a new thought?
No. The industry has expected a game changer from Google for some time. It is the logical move on from updates like Penguin 2.0 – giving greater authority to the websites content and behaviour through social media and conversions.
What effect will it have on your website?
Specific landing pages are now more likely to rank in Google search rather than the home page, so it is imperative the back end of the website fully meets Google best practice and is optimised effectively.
When is this going to take effect?
From this point onwards.
- There will now be a period of adjusting SEO tactics away from keywords towards conversational terminology
- Expect a slow adjustment throughout the industry initially
- Google will soon not provide any keyword information telling a business which specific words drove traffic to their website
- The focus is now primarily on the user’s intention
- Understanding the user is imperative
- Meeting the needs of a user and matching them with what the company can offer them.
What do you need to do now?
First it’s important to understand Hummingbird in more detail, we will be sharing knowledge with you shortly.
In the meantime touch base with a Chalk & Ward account handler to arrange a meeting to go through your SEO tactics.
The Chalk & Ward Team